Friday, July 31, 2009

Passionately Seek God's Blessings

Jacob got alone with the Lord. He even wrestled with the angel of the Lord until he received a blessing. Our prayers are usually more fervent and more effective when we get alone with God. Spending time alone with God during the day is a desperate need for every Christian, including you and me.

Genesis 32:24–25 says, "Then Jacob was left alone, and a man [the angel of the Lord] wrestled with him until daybreak. When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob's thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him."

The man said, "Let me go, for the dawn is breaking." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." So he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." He said, "Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed" (24:26–28).

Then Jacob asked him and said, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And he blessed him there. So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, "I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved" (24:29–30).

Note that Jacob said to the angel, "I will not let you go unless you bless me" (32:26). This was not a simple prayer at the table for God to bless the food. This was a passionate plea for the blessing of Almighty God upon him.

Oh my, did God ever bless him! And God is still blessing His children today. Dear people, we must get alone with God. We must have a heavenly hunger for the blessing of Almighty God. We must make a passionate plea for it. Be a copycat; copy Jacob by praying his prayer. Fervently seek God's blessing.

Prayer: Father, teach us the importance of spending time alone with You. Fill us with a passionate desire to seek after Your blessings, not only for ourselves, but for others. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Quote for the Day: "When you pray, rather let your heart be without words than your words without heart." —John Bunyan